What You Can Do Now to Protect Your Rights
- First, be sure to report the injury and fill out an accident report. Ask for the workers' compensation insurance information.
- Go see your doctor and follow any instructions that you are given. Your health and well being are the most important concerns that need to be addressed immediately.
Keep a detailed personal diary of the events surrounding your accident. Be sure to record all relevant information, including:
- Date the incident occurred
- Names and addresses of everyone who witnessed the incident
- Name of the foreman or supervisor to whom the incident was reported
- Name of the union official or fellow employee who witnessed the incident report
- Information on all chemicals or equipment that played a role in the incident
- Names and addresses of all places where medical treatment occurred
- Number of days missed from work as a result of the incident
- A copy of the doctor’s excuse from work
Accurate information can prove critical in resolving disputes efficiently and effectively.